At Alloy Ventures, we’re committed to working hand-in-hand with entrepreneurs to build the most successful companies.
Whether you’re a new entrepreneur with a brilliant idea in the Life Sciences, IT, or Cleantech sectors, or whether you’ve worked with us in the past to build a great company, we’d love to hear from you.
Browse our site, learn about the sectors we invest in, and send us an email if you think your Life Sciences, IT or Cleantech idea might strike a chord with our interdisciplinary team. We can be reached at email@example.com. Each business plan will be forwarded to the appropriate person and we will respond if we require additional information.
Resources to build your business
The resources below provide valuable insights, suggestions, models, and information for you as you develop your idea, build your business, and prepare to approach potential venture investors.
Alloy’s Evaluation Process
A step-by-step guide on how we work with entrepreneurs, with tips on writing a business plan. Read More
Ten Things That Can Make or Break a Deal
An entrepreneur's guide to pitching early-stage venture-capital firms. Read More
Basic Financials Template
This template allows you to enter headcount, balance sheet, income statement, and cash flows to get a first cut on numbers with basic assumptions. Just fill in the blanks, and the model will help you decide if your assumptions are too pessimistic (probably not) or too optimistic (probably). Download
This multi-round valuation/capitalization template is set up to assume several rounds of financing, from seed to IPO, and it allows you to calculate your ownership and returns after dilution from these financings. Download
Stagger charts help you forecast sales, headcount, costs, profits, and other key metrics over an extended time period, broken down by months or quarters, and based on annual targets. Here is a development stagger chart that will give you a general overview of your company’s progress, as well as more than a dozen function-specific stagger charts, which will allow you to do break down forecasts by metric.
- Instructions and Example
- Development Stagger Chart
- Cash Stagger Chart
- Expense Stagger Chart
- Headcount Stagger Chart
- Revenue Stagger Chart
- COS Expense Stagger Chart
- Marketing Expense Stagger Chart
- Sales & Support Expense Stagger Chart
- G & A Expense Stagger Chart
- R & D Expense Stagger Chart
- Marketing Headcount Stagger Chart
- Sales & Support Headcount Stagger Chart
- G & A Headcount Stagger Chart
- R & D Headcount Stagger Chart
More information for entrepreneurs
- Business Association of Stanford Engineers. BASES is an association of Stanford engineering students and alumni that fosters entrepreneurship through formal networking and informational events.
- Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation. The EMKF is a foundation that promotes entrepreneurship through educational programs such as the Kauffman Venture Capital fellowship.
- Lester Center for Entrepreneurship - UC Berkeley. This site provides information on regularly scheduled networking and speaking events at the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley.
- MIT Entrepreneurship Center. The MIT E-Center promotes numerous formal and informal activities to foster entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial education.
- Redwood Valuation. A leading provider of cost-efficient IRC 409A and SFAS 123R valuation services and analysis to emerging companies and their venture investors across the technology, life science and medical device sectors.
- Armanino McKenna. Largest California based CPA firm. Offering a comprehensive array of services available to support the needs of clients: from audits and reviews to tax planning and preparation, SOX compliance, IT software and service, and consulting.
- Stanford Technology Ventures Program. STVP is dedicated to accelerating high-technology entrepreneurship education and creating scholarly research on technology-based firms.
- Venture Capital Resource Library. At this site, sponsored by VFinance Holdings, Inc., you'll find information about venture capital firms, angel investors, lenders and investment banks. Download a free business plan template here, or ask questions to the site's financing specialists.
“Alloy Ventures are world-class partners. We’ve had the true pleasure of working with Craig Taylor on multiple deals and find his wisdom, experience and level-headed approach unparalleled. He has the unique ability to offer highly constructive, insightful comments from the 60,000-ft. view as well as on the ground - from catching issues with documents to seeing other ways to design products. Combine all that with a most affable, unflappable personal style. Alloy is the best of the best.”
– Tate Scott, Chairman, President and CEO, KFx Medical